Preview SAME March Madness!
Posted on February 13, 2015 | By Stephen Karl
For three days beginning March 10, SAME members will take over the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center for the FY2016 DOD & Federal Agency Program Briefings, the Fellows Luncheon, the Fellows Investiture, and the 2015 Golden Eagle Awards Dinner.
That’s right: three days, four events, nearly 1,000 A/E/C industry and government professionals, distinguished guests, and deserving honorees!
Each year, SAME March Madness combines detailed A/E/C business development briefings from federal agencies with formal SAME events that recognize the career contributions of a select group of men and women for service to the Society and the engineering profession.
What’s more, the 2015 Fellows Investiture is the 20th Anniversary of the SAME Academy of Fellows! While SAME began bestowing Fellow upon members in 1972, it was not until 1995 that the Academy of Fellows was established. The first Investiture took place in San Antonio in October 1995. For more on the beginnings of the SAME Academy of Fellows, check out “History of the SAME Academy of Fellows” written by Hal Rosen, F.SAME.
FY2016 PROGRAM BRIEFINGS
Because the Obama Administration was able to release the proposed FY2016 budget in February, there should be significant forward-looking project opportunities at this year’s event. In recent years, a delayed budget process has limited the forecasts agencies could offer.
Among the scheduled briefings:
- Army & Air Force Exchange Service
- Army Installation Management Command
- Navy Design & Construction
- Air Force Design & Construction
- Army Design & Construction
- USACE Research & Support Centers
- Department of Energy
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- USACE Civil Works
- Army, Navy and Air Force Environmental Programs
This year’s DOD & Federal Agency Program Briefings also includes a DOD Executive Panel and a pair of Continuing Education Seminars (separate registration required).
For more information and to register for the event, visit www.same.org/dod.
ACADEMY OF FELLOWS INVESTITURE
This year’s Fellows Investiture, the 20th Anniversary of the SAME Academy of Fellows, will take place Thursday March 12, from 5:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m., directly preceding the 2015 Golden Eagle Awards Dinner.
Congratulations to the 27 new members of the Academy of Fellows, who will be invested.
- Grant T. Bartee, P.E.
- Richard F. Beirne IV, P.E.
- Steven Blinderman, P.E.
- Eric A. Canales, P.E.
- Lt. Col. Michael J. Coats, P.E., USAF (Ret.)
- Geoff C. Compeau, Ph.D.
- Cdr. Wayne L. Cornell, P.E., USN (Ret.)
- James F. DeGour III, P.E.
- Henry Dulaney, P.E.
- Ann Ewy, PMP
- Col. Robert L. Fant, P.E., USAF (Ret.)
- William H. Hedstrom
- Debra F. Heims
- Col. Michael L. Herman, P.E., ARNG
- Rear Adm. Thomas W. Jones, P.E., CFM, USCG
- Col. John R. Lohr, AIA, USAF (Ret.)
- Capt. Cameron A. Manning, P.E., USN (Ret.)
- Lt. Col. Patrick G. Miller, P.E., USAF
- Lt. Col. Michael A. Moran, P.E., ANG
- Lt. Col. Bryan F. Muller, USAF (Ret.)
- Christopher S. Prinslow, PMP, CCM
- Kenneth A. Stegall, P.E.
- Robert J. Van Vonderen, P.E.
- Matthew T. Wallace
- Joseph R. Wanielista, P.E.
- Col. Ronald W. Welch, Ph.D., P.E., USA (Ret.)
- Lt. Col. David L. Yang, CFM, LEED AP, USAF (Ret.)
GOLDEN EAGLE AWARDS DINNER
The SAME Golden Eagle Awards recognize two great Americans for their contributions, respectively, to national security and the engineering profession.
This year’s recipients include the first woman to receive the Golden Eagle Award, an architect who also was one of the most influential champions in the establishment of the SAME Academy of Fellows 20 years ago, and a former Chief of Staff of the Army who served 36 years in uniform before transitioning to a career overseeing one of the largest organizations in the country representing soldiers, their families, and the defense industry.
The 2015 Golden Eagle Award recipients are Suzanne DiGeronimo, FAIA, F.SAME, President of DiGeronimo Architects, for “Contributions to the Engineering Profession,” and Gen. Gordon R. Sullivan, USA (Ret.), President & CEO of the Association of the United States Army for “Contributions to National Security.”
For more information on the 2015 Academy of Fellows Golden Eagle Awards Dinner, visit www.same.org/goldeneagle.