Preview SAME’s “March Madness” Events!
Posted on February 22, 2016 | By Stephen Karl
SAME’s FY2017 DOD & Federal Agency Program Briefings will be held over two days (March 8-9) at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center in Alexandria, Va.
Open exclusively to SAME members, this annual event offers professionals from across the A/E/C industry and related fields a chance to hear from military and government engineering leadership on the projected federal budgets for the year ahead—with insight into areas of focus, such as energy and cybersecurity challenges, infrastructure needs, public-private partnerships, environmental remediation, military construction programs, and Civil Works opportunities.
AGENCIES REPRESENTED IN 2016
This year’s SAME DOD & Federal Agency Program Briefings will feature more than 30 speakers representing a dozen federal agencies
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Army Installation Management Command
- Army Research & Support Centers
- Air Force Civil Engineer Center
- Naval Facilities Engineering Command
- General Services Administration
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Overseas Building Operations, Department of State
- Office of Environmental Management, Department of Energy
- National Nuclear Security Administration
- U.S. Customs & Border Protection
- Army & Air Force Exchange Service
DOD EXECUTIVE PANEL: WHAT TO EXPECT
The FY2017 DOD & Federal Agency Program Briefings also will feature a DOD Executive Panel, moderated by SAME President Jane Penny, P.E., F.SAME, of AECOM. She will facilitate a Q&A on Tuesday afternoon (March 8) with senior leaders at four military agencies: Lt. Gen. David Halverson, USA, Assistant Chief of Staff for Installation Management, HQ Department of the Army; Rear Adm. Bret Muilenburg, P.E., CEC, USN, Commander, Naval Facilities Engineering Command, and Chief of Civil Engineers; Maj. Gen. Tim Green, P.E., USAF, Director of Civil Engineers, Deputy Chief of Staff, Logistics, Engineering & Force Protection, and Maj. Gen. Mark Yenter, P.E., USA, Deputy Commanding General for Civil & Emergency Operations, HQ USACE.
In past years, the Executive Panel has provided keen insight into the military services’ long-term outlook for Military Construction and Operations & Maintenance funding, including burgeoning areas of investment and other areas where there may be less attention going forward. This is vital information to help industry firms ensure that they are equipped and prepared to support the government where it most will need support—as a strong and ready industrial base is critical to national security.
Click here for a detailed schedule of Agency Briefings with speaker information.
ADDITIONAL “MARCH MADNESS” EVENTS
In conjunction with the annual DOD & Federal Agency Program Briefings, SAME also hosts a number of other events, offering a mix of professional development and networking opportunities.
Golden Eagle Dinner/Fellows Investiture. This year, the SAME Academy of Fellows’ Golden Eagle Awards Dinner will honor Adm. Vern Clark, USN (Ret.), former Chief of Naval Operations, and Lt. Gen. Robert Van Antwerp, P.E., F.SAME, USA (Ret.), 52nd U.S. Army Chief of Engineers, for their outstanding contributions to national security and the engineering profession respectively. The event will be held Thursday evening, March 10.
In addition, preceding its Golden Eagle Awards Dinner, the Academy of Fellows will welcome 24 new members to its ranks at the annual Fellows Investiture ceremony:
- Capt. George G. Bonner, P.E., CFM, F.SAME, USCG
- James E. Davis, CSP, PG, F.SAME
- Jeffrey A. Davis, F.SAME
- Robert M. Harris Jr., P.E., F.SAME
- Col. Thomas D. Heinold, P.E., F.SAME, USA (Ret.)
- Ramon A. Herrera, P.E., F.SAME
- Cdr. Jon H. Holbrook, AIA, F.SAME, USCGR (Ret.)
- Col. Russell R. Hula, F.SAME, USAF
- Keith F. Lashway, P.E., F.SAME, F.NSPE
- Mark A. Loes, ET, CWI, F.SAME
- Col. Joe D. Manous Jr., Ph.D., P.E., F.SAME, USA (Ret.)
- Lt. Col. Charles S. Markham, PMP, F.SAME, USA (Ret.)
- Benjamin E. Matthews, P.E., F.SAME
- Col. Peter W. Mueller, P.E., PMP, F.SAME, USA (Ret.)
- Gita Murthy, Ph.D., F.SAME
- Gwennette Parker, F.SAME
- Col. Robert J. Ruch, F.SAME, USA
- Capt. Robert D. Schlesinger, P.E., LEED AP BD+C, F.SAME, USN (Ret.)
- Tiffany H. Seibt, F.SAME
- Marci R. Snyder, F.SAME
- Kirk W. Ticknor, P.E., CFM, F.SAME
- Col. Bryan P. Truesdell, P.E., F.SAME, USA
- Lt. Col. Robert H. Yauger, P.E., F.SAME, USAR (Ret.)
- Andrew F. Young, P.E.
IWD Breakfast. Also for 2016, SAME will host a breakfast Thursday morning March 10, in honor of International Women’s Day (which is March 8), featuring a panel of prominent women from the A/E/C industry and military services. Hosted by SAME President Jane Penny, the panel will feature Vice Adm. Sandra Stosz, USCG, Deputy Commandant for Mission Support; Brig. Gen. Diana Holland, USA, Commandant of Cadets at the U.S. Military Academy; Rear Adm. Kate Gregory, P.E., USN (Ret.), former Commander of NAVFAC and Chief of Civil Engineers; Suzanne DiGeronimo, FAIA, F.SAME, owner of a small business design firm and recipient of last year’s Golden Eagle Award; and Gita Murthy, Ph.D., also an owner of a small A/E/C business supporting the military services.
Continuing Education Seminar. On the afternoon of Wednesday, March 9, SAME will host a continuing education seminar entitled “Designing for Cost Consciousness.” The four-hour workshop will feature leading architects from the Army, Air Force and Coast Guard, for an inside look at what government entities want regarding project costs—balancing first cost, life cycle costs and meeting federal criteria—followed by a presentation on Target Value Design, a collaborative design process involving designers, builders, suppliers, estimators and owners co-located in one place to collaboratively produce a design that provides the best value for the owner based on the owner’s requirements.
For more information on the many SAME events being held March 8-10 at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, including to register to attend, visit www.same.org/dod.